Monday, June 1, 2009

No turning back now


Well, it's been too long since my last blog post. There's lots to cover but so little time. Here's a bulleted update then, in no particular order...

o Spent the day observing 7th and 8th grade math classes at Hingham Middle School, courtesy of Mr. Doug Holley, the math dept chair and Mr. Brodie, the principal. Met several 30+ year veteran math teachers and a few others. Great day! Learned the value of being "feared" by your students :-). More later, hopefully...

o Our daughter graduated from nursery school. We were so proud of her when they handed her her "Master's of Small Arts" diploma :-). She got into the all-day integrated kindergarten for next year. That will make childcare starting in the fall much less complicated and cheaper. On the days I don't have a substitute teaching gig going on, I'll have free time during the day! And then classes at night.

o Enrolling in Bridgewater State College's (BSC) accelerated post-baccalaureate (APB) licensure program, to get my next level license, an initial teaching license. Hope to get my MTEL scores back in the coming weeks. When I pass those tests I'll get my first license, the preliminary teaching license. But few school districts in their right minds will hire a teacher with zero teaching experience, even if the candidate does have a preliminary license. The APB program at BSC consists of 15 credits, evening classes in the fall and then student teaching in the spring. Very excited to start both!

o My former manager came through for me. For the last two months he has been working very hard to get me re-hired at Citi. His new team does development, which I don't do anymore. But he carved out a Level 3 support / tactical development team lead position, tailored just for me. After discussing this with my wife and sleeping on it, it was a no brainer... My mind has moved on, passed Citi, passed financial services, passed IT. I'm ready for my second career and teaching. Got to give it a shot at least...

o While wife and boys went to NYC over the weekend, daughter and I had a blast back home. Took her rockwall climbing at REI -- she made it to the top on her second try! Went to Imagination Island in Plymouth, MA -- she loved it there. Swam at the YMCA -- she's agreed to take lessons. Watched WALL-E at home. And rented deBlob for the Wii -- we both love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment