Thursday, November 19, 2009

Need to learn how to teach math to the learning challenged...

Much has happened in the past month or so in terms of teaching. I was lucky enough to fall into a long-term sub position at a charter school on the South Shore. But after two weeks it was mutually agreed upon that I was simply overwhelmed, as a brand new teacher, trying to teach 5/6th grade math, social studies (then science) and knitting in inclusion classes, i.e., where students of all learning abilities are placed in the same classes. I learned a great deal about what I still needed work on, primarily teaching math to the learning challenged.

And that's why I'm definitely doing student teaching in January (until May). I'm fortunate to have lined up internships with two veteran middle school math teachers in Quincy. I can't wait to start!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jeff,

    I'm SO glad that you'er going to do student teaching. You'll learn a lot, in a controlled situation, and your talents will shine.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Break the silence...need to see some new posts!!!

    ReplyDelete