Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reality sets in


I've applied to three middle school math teaching positions. No official responses yet. I did get some feedback, off the record. Although they thought my credentials were kind of impressive, without teaching experience they just can't take a chance. Not when they have so many applicants to choose from...

So it is now abundantly clear that I have to cut my teeth on substitute teaching, which is perfectly fine. It's also clear to me that the post baccalaureate program is also crucial to my second career plans. I think now I have enough motivation to write that dang essay for Bridgewater State College! Luckily I have a friend who put in the good word for me at one of the public school systems on the South Shore. Looks like I'll be called upon to sub in at least one school district! I'm excited and terrified at the same time :-). Feels like an initiation phase or weeding out period for bad teachers.

Meanwhile I am settling into my role as Mr. Mom. I have taken over laundry duties, embracing them as I previously did with my dish washing responsibilities. I.e., I am a lean, mean washing machine! Well, not so lean. Plus I have help -- my assistant Bella is shown above. I also make Debbie's coffee in the morning and drive her to and from the train station. And I shuttle the kids back and forth to and from day camp, after I pack their lunch boxes. I'm starting to know what it feels like to be a housewife. Except I don't chat with the other stay-at-homers, who are still predominantly women.

Moneywise we're still hanging in there. Debbie now makes more than I did. But she has to work five days a week now, and I think it's exhausting her. The unemployment checks keep coming each week. No complaints there. Indeed, after 20 years of working, 14 years at Citi, it's been easy for me to sink into my new role. Much less stress. When I get up in the morning, usually before the rest of the crew, it feels like a Sunday morning. No worries about work, about office politics, about stock prices. Usually get to read through the entire Boston Globe, including the treasured comics, in color!


Yesterday Jesse and I visited the Institute of Contemporary Art on Boston's waterfront. Beautiful museum. One exhibit really struck me. Artur Zmijewski, seminal Polish artist, organized a social experiment in which he invited representatives from four groups to make art symbolizing their positions. Elderly women catholics, nationalist youth group, Jewish activists, leftist socialists. They were allowed to do anything to each others' works. We got to watch as their responses escalated with each meeting. And how some people withdrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment