Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chaperoning 6th grade strings musicians' trip to BSO


So another cool thing about being laid off is that I now can do things at my kids' schools, without taking time off from work. Today I chaperoned my oldest son's trip to see the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It was a blast! They played the Imperial March from Star Wars. I wanted to give them a standing ovation, but my son had warned me the night before not to do anything to embarass him. Indeed I barely said anything to him, looked at him, or shared the same airspace with him the whole trip.

On the bus ride I got to chat with one of the mothers. (I was the only dad chaperoning.) Fascinating conversation! I was so glad to have met her and heard her story. Quite inspiring. About homeopathy and her four children, karma and past lives...

Anyway, the ~40 sixth grade strings students behaved well the whole trip. Mostly girls; maybe half a dozen boys. Some of the girls sang songs (more like cheers) on the ride back. We didn't lose any kids in Boston. Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment