Monday, April 6, 2009

"Good Daddy"


This morning I learned that Hingham's substitute teachers list is closed until at least September. There are hundreds on the list. This after I got references from my two friends from Old Ship and one of the deputy police chiefs from town. Oh well...

I had printed something out from the web for our nanny, Marlena. She turned to Jayden and said, "What a good daddy he is." Jayden replied, "He aboos [carries] me around the house every morning. Sometimes piggy[-backs me]." That made my day!

I called the Boston Globe to cancel our Sunday deliveries. Figure every penny counts now. The rep pointed out the Globe might be helpful to my job search, which I think is true. Then she knocked down our price by 50%, for 12 weeks. That was nice...

Another unexpected good surprise was my conversation with my company's pension department. Turns out I was grandfathered into my company's pension plans since I joined the company over fourteen years ago, before 401(k)s were de rigeur. Even though the company doesn't contribute to any pension accounts anymore, since a year ago, my pension is still accruing interest. If I wait until I'm 65, I can get either a lump sum payment or a monthly annuity payout until I croak. So Debbie and I don't have to rely solely on 401(k), social security, or one of the kids becoming a Hollywood movie star! That was cool...

Still haven't finished my resume yet. Nor did I set aside time to study for my teacher tests. Trying to take care of all this administrative stuff first. And mining my LinkedIn connections. I'm not wasting time, just have to prioritize. Sounds familiar :-)...

No comments:

Post a Comment