Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 2


Yesterday, Wed 4/1, was my first day after getting laid off. The night before, even though I was tired, I had a hard time falling asleep. I kept thinking about updating my resume. So I got up and started the effort.

Yesterday I got up usual time. Got the oldest one up for school at 5:45am. Made him some toast. Walked him to the school bus stop. Got Jonah up at 7am and got him a bowl of cereal. Tested him on his spelling words. Snuggled with Jayden. Walked Jonah to the school bus stop. Then walked the dog. That's my typical morning. Except I don't have to rush to work afterwards :-).

I continued to work on my resume. Emailed friends and colleagues. Spoke to a few over the phone. Helped out one of them with work stuff. Spoke to the outplacement counselor, who was really, really nice. I went to the bank, then to the library, to return "Babe", the DVD -- great pig turns sheep dog story. Several Academy Awards nominations. I recommend it to all!

At the library, I decided to take out some books. Was going to get some comic strip anthologies or sci-fi novellas. But then it dawned on me to take out some test prep books. Later I learned that the late registration deadline for the Sat May 9 MTEL (Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure) is April 17. I still have time! I was able to borrow two prep books: one for the main Communication and Literacy Skills Test and one for Math. Perfect!

Then I took the Red Line T into Park Street and met my co-workers for Indian buffet at Tantric. Boy was I happy I went. I was able to tell them face-to-face that I was alright. Told them I was thinking of changing careers, becoming a math teacher. I got some encouragement! And a very sweet farewell card which they had all signed. That made my day. The spinach/mushroom balls were delicious, too :-).

Later that evening I took my oldest one to the YMCA. Worked out on a bike. Got a call from a colleague. All was fine. I was missed at work. But life will go on, for them and for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment