Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Life goes on...


Tonight I attended my first Cornell Club of Boston board meeting (see pic above, courtesy of our president, Paul Hayre) since being laid off. Turns out at least one other fellow board member is looking for a job, too -- like true Cornellians, we are helping each other. Well, she's helping me a lot more than I can help her; but when the time comes, I will repay her kindness.

Cornell's Northeast Regional Office, based on Beacon St in Boston, is closing down its facilities, laying off its longtime admin and relocating the two remaining employees to work from home, after June 30. Since Boston has the second largest Cornell alumni population in the US, next to NYC's, the university to keep staff at those two cities. The remaining regional offices are shutting down.

Earlier today I donated platelets via apheresis at the Red Cross Blood Donation Center in Braintree, MA. With a high iron (hemoglobin) count, I was able to donate my usual triple platelets, enough to provide platelets for three patients. Takes about 100 minutes for me. Usually I go once a month on a weekend. But now that, ahem, my weekdays are free, I'm planning to go at least once every two weeks. May as well get the most out of my 'free' time... During the apheresis I was able to work on my resume some more. Getting the final draft down is harder than I thought it would be. Trying to hone it down...

Tomorrow I have my orientation session with the outplacement agency. Thursday I have a one-on-one meeting with my job counselor. In the end I hope to return to my old company in the next 60 days, albeit with a different division, but in Boston still. They've treated me well, until they laid me off :-), and I'm comfortable there. If that doesn't pan out, I plan to move on. Maybe switch into healthcare IT or something. Of course, there's always teaching math. Still haven't started my study regimen. Mentally I fell I gotta finish my resume first...

P.S. -- I miss my Blackberry Curve...........

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    Thanks for showing the picture of the Cornell Club board. Your insight and perspective as a board member have been very valuable to all of us.

    ReplyDelete