
Wednesday was a busy day. I visited the Framingham office of my outplacement agency for the first time. About a forty-five minute drive. Nancy Cantor, from Cantor Consulting, led a workshop on how to figure out our dream job and ways to pursue it. She had us write down what we were good at, what we were passionate about, what we would do if money weren't an issue. She then walked us through a guided meditation, where we pictured what we'd be doing five years from now. That was such a powerful exercise...
In my vision I clearly saw myself not in front of a computer or in a corporate job, but in front of a classroom, writing on a blackboard. I saw myself explaining something in a way that most of the students could grasp it. I envisioned being a mentor to some of these kids. Helping out those who didn't think they'd be able to understand imaginary numbers or co-tangents.
I enjoyed mentoring some colleagues at my old company. I cared about the people I worked with. Most of them, anyway. I've always liked being helpful and appreciated.
By the end of the workshop not only did Nancy encourage me to follow my dream, but my peers around the table rooted for me, too. To trust myself. One person said if I felt a calling to teach, it's simply meant to be. For anyone who's ever wanted to pursue their dream job but never could pull the trigger, I recommend that you contact Nancy Cantor at nancy@cantorconsulting.com
There are some folks in my life, like my mom, who worry that teaching is not a lucrative enough profession. But if it's fulfilling enough, isn't that priceless? Also, I've always wanted my kids to pursue whatever career they wished. As long as it didn't break any laws. Lucrative enough to keep Debbie and I comfortable during our retirement would be an added bonus, but not a prerequisite. How can my children truly believe me when I say they should go for their dream jobs, if I can't make the leap of faith myself?
Today Wednesday while talking to the director of religious education at my church, it dawned on me that I should sign up to be a substitute teacher in the surrounding towns, including Randolph. $80 a day :-)! I still have to put together my teaching resume.
Dear Jeff,
ReplyDeleteI am inspired!!! You go for your Dream and start creating that resume. It was pleasure to work with you. Let me know as things progress.
Nancy Cantor
Make the leap. As one of my elder mentors (Geri Stein) said to me when I was fretting about teaching..."Life is long, if this doesn't work, you'll do something else."
ReplyDelete