Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bolt Bus


I took the Bolt Bus from Boston to NYC last week for the first time. I will do it again! I paid $10 to and $15 back when I bought the tickets three weeks before my trip. At the bus terminal I was among the first to board, as part of Group A.

The bus to was brand new. Had seat belts, electrical outlets at every seat by our feet. Plenty of leg room. Smooth, comfortable ride. Bathroom was clean and not cramped. The polite driver made announcements before the trip and towards the end of the trip. He was constantly giving traffic reports to his fellow drivers. We left South Station Thursday at 4pm (on time) and arrived at 34th and 8th by Tick Tock diner at 8:15pm. Nonstop.

The bus back was older. Not every seat had electrical outlets; I couldn't plug my cord in all the way, but it worked nonetheless. The driver made no announcements except when he pulled into Arby's for a 15 minute break. Oh, I almost missed this bus in NYC. I was at the Tick Tock diner half an hour before departure time. With about five minutes to go, someone asked me if this was the Bolt Bus stop. I said I sure hoped so. Luckily, a passerby overheard us and pointed us further down the block. There we saw a long line of people and three buses loading up with passengers. I got one of the last seats on the Boston-bound bus. Phew! That Saturday we left 34th and 8th at 4pm and arrived at South Station around 9pm.

I've signed up for the frequent traveler program with Bolt Bus. As of right now they only go to NYC from Boston, I believe. From NYC Bolt Bus goes to Philly and D.C., too. The bus has WiFi, but it's spotty, I'm told. The wireless card on my old Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop doesn't work and I left my headphones at home :-(. But I was able to watch Seven Pounds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Taken with subtitles :-)! Watched Slumdog Millionaire at my mom's Thursday night; she likes to watch Oscar winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment