Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Crazy train


What a night (again!) for Boston sports teams! Like two nights ago, last night the Celtics and Bruins won their round two playoff games and the Red Sox come back in the late innings to win, too. Success breeds success, the saying goes. Also, winners never quit. These three teams have the confidence to grind it out, even in the face of long odds. And that is what I'm starting to realize about my own career change...

I just applied for a summer math teacher position in Randolph. Mon-Thur, 20 hours a week, for the month of July; no creditation necessary. It's the perfect job for me, but am I the perfect candidate for it? Imagine how many out of work veteran teachers are out there, trying to find a job. Why should any school take a chance on a completely inexperienced would-be teacher?

They say math and science teachers are still in demand. That may be true. But the competition is still fierce. I am bracing myself for many a rejection letter. Or even no responses. Everyone's busy these days -- who has time to contact the rejects?

Still I will persevere. Like the Celts, the Bruins, the Sox, the Pats last year. I contacted the chair of the math dept at my old junior high school, JHS 157, in Rego Park, Queens, about observing some classes this Friday. She is getting permission from her principal. Fingers crossed! I think I'll call their "rival" school, Russell Sage Junior High School, in case it doesn't work out at my alma mater.

I also want to take at least one summer course, online or in the evening, on education. I need the formal training! Checking out Bridgewater State College, Lesley University, and others...

Now although this whole experience may be sounding like an extended vacation for me, the realities of being unemployment are quickly settling in. Today I make my first trip to the unemployment office in Quincy to file for unemployment benefits. Today too I start my diet. If I'm going to be taking the kids to the outdoor pool at the YMCA every day, I've got to lose the tire around my waist!

And that's just it. Even though outwardly I feel fine, because Debbie has a good job and I have a good game plan, plus I'm excited to become a teacher, I must still be feeling some stress, at least inwardly, about not bringing in income for my family and about taking on the greatest challenge of my life to date (actually, second greatest challenge -- becoming a father was my first, and I have to say I adjusted better than expected). I've found myself eating. A lot. Definitely for comfort. That stops today. Now. No more over-eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment