Monday, May 11, 2009

Never better


I'm 41, ten pounds overweight, and out of a job. I'm through with financial services IT. I can't break into healthcare IT because I've been in financial services IT for the last 15 years. I'm bound for a career in a low-paying field and one in which I'm untested. We lose our nanny at the end of May, when I'll be called upon once again to be Mr. Mom, something I had vowed eleven years ago never to be again, after six months of it.

So why am I dancing and laughing and having a good time? And making a fool of myself ;-).

Because, knock on wood, the family is healthy. Because Debbie is gainfully employed and is really good at what she does, corporate litigation. Because I'm not too proud to accept unemployment benefits. Because I have a game plan to get reemployed. Because teachers in general get a generous pension and benefits. Because Jesse is reading about black holes, time travel, and Schrodinger's cat, and just spent the last ten minutes telling me about them, before he went to sleep. Because Jonah is growing up to be a thoughtful young man, possibly destined to become a teacher himself.

Because Jayden is so self-aware, self-assured, it's amazing, and because in returning for getting her a late-night snack, I made her promise to take care of me when I'm old and rickety. She later told her mom that she'd take care of her, too. Because Tonks hasn't bitten anyone since I started walking her more frequently and for longer periods of time, since I was laid off almost 1 1/2 months ago. Because I've been handed an opportunity of a lifetime to actually change careers, something I've always wanted to do but could never pull the trigger to do. Because I'm meeting up with friends from work this Friday night and I can't wait to see them. Because life continues to be interesting...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good - I'm a bit envious. And now I just have to ask... After talking with Jesse about Shroedinger's cat, did you keep peeking under the covers to be sure he was still sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and after watching the video I can see those dance lessons paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse did ask how many cats were killed in the experiment. He was both relieved and a little less impressed when he learned it was simply a thought exercise :-).

    ReplyDelete