Friday, May 22, 2009

JHS 157 Queens - Stephen A. Halsey

As mentioned below, I visited my alma mater Friday, May 15 -- JHS 157 Stephen A. Halsey, in Rego Park, Queens. Because I was neither a student teacher nor a parent of a Halseyite, I had to first meet with the principal, Mr. Vincent Suraci. By email he instructed me to arrive at 7:45am with my credentials.

Some things about the school haven't changed in the 27 years since I graduated from junior high. The brick exterior of the building, the dense street parking, the diversity of the school's population, the smell inside the stairwells, and at least two staff members -- Asst Principal Anita Greenhut and Mrs. Grgas (nee Ms. Sachs). But other things certainly have changed...

There was a uniformed NYPD police officer inside the main entrance. I learned that all NYC public schools, from elementary to high school, have anywhere from one to over a dozen uniformed officers. Halsey now has grades six through nine -- was 7th to 9th in my day. The elementary schools in the district only go up to fifth grade now. Ninth graders still have the option of staying at Halsey or moving on to Forest Hills, Bronx Science (yay!), Stuyvesant (boo), Brooklyn Tech, Townsend, etc. A number of 8th graders I chatted with in the honors math classes were moving on to high school. I stayed at Halsey for 9th grade.

While I waited for the principal, I read the posters and plaques on the wall outside the main office. The Drama / Actor's Studio just had a performance a few days ago. There was a plaque hung honoring Jack Bovsun, who was an asst principal in my day. Below the plaque was a set of photos showing the principal handing certificates to various students. In all the pictures Mr. Suraci had a genuinely happy, if not proud, look on his face. I can't recall what the award was for, perhaps Halseyite of the Month, but the winners in the photos looked happy to be standing next to their principal.

After making the morning's announcements, including the names of the winners from each grade of some music CDs, Mr. Suraci greeted me and invited me into his office. I showed him my resume as well as a copy of my high school guidance counselor's college recommendation. I was fortunate to get a good twenty minutes out of the principal's very busy schedule. We were about the same age and I think we hit it off, after he confirmed my credentials. I enjoyed speaking with him and appreciated his frankness.

I asked what percentage of his teachers were second-career types. He said only about ten percent, since many try to become teachers for the wrong reasons, such as believing your work is over after 3pm or that kids are creatures to be tolerated, not coddled. He went on to explain that the most successful teachers are those who have certain intangibles that really can't be learned. Either you have it or you don't. You've got to like, no love, children, first and foremost, and treat them with respect. You have to be caring. He looked at me, sized me up a bit more, and said maybe, just maybe, I might have some of what it takes. That made my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment